Monday 10 December 2012

Ideas for horseradish


Horseradish is one of those things that I knew I liked from the jars and restaurants, but I had no idea what it looked like until I bought one a month or so ago at the Spice Shop off Portobello Road. It looks like this:


It is worth noting that this is A LOT of horseradish. As I said, I bought it a month ago. I have made a lot of things with it (some that worked and some that did not) and it is still going strong.

Here are some of the things I did that were more successful:

Cold roast beef and veggie salad


Roast root veggies like onions, beetroot and carrots and toss with rocket and a salad dressing with grainy mustard and grated horseradish. Serve with roast beef.

Celeriac and apple soup


Make a celeriac and apple soup, and garnish with grated horseradish, black truffle oil and black pepper.

Sausages with apricot ketchup


Soften onions and add fresh apricots, apricot jam, grated horseradish and water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes and then reduce it to a simmer until thick. Add more grated horseradish before serving.

I am trying to come up with additional ideas of how to use it, as I love the short, sharp heat of horseradish, that fades, rather than burns like chilli. Suggestions welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment